Discover more from The Mad Christian
First Draft - Writers’ Workshop Step 1
“In the Beginning” - Do-It-Yourself Assignment #1
Play along at home with the First Draft Writers’ Workshops.
Step 1 - In the Beginning
1. List your top three, all-time
A. plot lines B. heroes C. villains D. scenes (use anything: movies, books, histories)
2. Letting everything about your answers to A+B+C+D above influence you, imagine a dark hall in which a spotlight comes up on three figures. Who are they? Describe them each in detail without name or brand recognition.
3. These figures will be the archetypals of your Hero, your Villain, and your Muse for your First Draft story project. Which is which? Jot down anything here that clarifies their role or whatever comes to mind. If you don’t know what a muse is, that’s ok. It’s just the one that’s not the hero or the villain.
4. Create character sketches for each figure by answering the following questions:
- What is at stake?
- What can’t afford to be lost?
- What could be gained?
- What must be hunted?
- What is still out there?
- What’s a good chase?
- What’s good sport?
- What’s in his/her pockets?
- What was his/her childhood pet’s name?
- Did you get some fun answers?
I bet you did. Hang tight to those notes, or at least keep your three archetypals close. We’ll be putting those to work for us next time.